2012/01/16

MLK and the Moon

why don’t we view the moon with racism and hate?

we as people
from where we are
we mind the moon.
it brings to the surface a hidden love.

make note of your internal thoughts…
is it the fervent company of the howling wolf?
is it the alluring perfume of the blooming midnight orchid?
is it the damp grasses growing under foot?
is it the innumerable cloud variations passing between?
is it the corn on the cob, roasted on a campfire?
that stops you in your whatever and has you saying
“look at the moon.”
i sense that it is a hidden love for the moon.

yet visibility under moonlight requires indirect sunlight,
a subtle dependency in the darkness.
what do you do when the moon is new, in darkness?
when the laws of darkness are binding the moonlight
to the reality of oppression,
will this oppression fail in nonviolent exposure to indirect light?
yes.
don’t be afraid.
i challenge you to watch the sky
as the moon is present
both day and night
exposing the newness and fullness of the moon
in distant degrees of promise, the inherent beauty,
horizon rising, the orange, the red, the yellow
the black and white of it.
in varied modes of existance
the moon changes colors, yet we admire all colors;
devoid full racism.

in the sleep, our dreams,
in the wake, recalled
beauty, the flesh of all mankind,
see it as one.

Author's Note:
I usually don’t share my writing unless I’m happy with the entire piece. I feel this piece is a bit awkward in some spots. I have been reluctant to do anything with it. However, today we are celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his dream. I don’t care about my happiness with this piece at the moment. I think for my peace, the need to share the overall message is stronger than the condition of my happiness. The moon is something everyone on earth can see. I assume everyone accepts it in its varied modes of existance. Why can’t everyone do that with people?

No comments:

Post a Comment